Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Fouth of July


Yesterday, I left the Communaute de l'Emmanuel for the afternoon and evening to attend the 70th Birthday Party of my brother Vincent in Hudson, QC, returning late last night.

No time now to give an account of the above (I have to prepare a homily on the sibling rivalry of the Esau and Jacob story!) and my digital camera is out of commission (perhaps as a result of the Canada Day mid-afternoon deluge?) so I must await photos from family members.

Best wishes from Quebec City, especially to family and friends celebrating the Glorious Fourth.

Not sure whether artist for this expressionistic painting, Maurice Brazil Prendergast is a relative or not. Like my father he was Newfoundland-born, in St. John's, Newfoundland (October 10, 1858–February 1, 1924), who is recognized as a Boston-based post-Impressionist artist who worked in oil, watercolor, and monotype. Technically, he was a member of The Eight, but the delicacy of his compositions and mosaic-like beauty of his designs had little in common with the philosophy of the group.

Illustration: Figures under the Flag (1900-05)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Archbishop Prendergast,

    After reading this article by you I am moved to write to you to ask if you knew Sister Angela Fowler(now deceased).
    Sister is a cousin of mine through my Dad's family (Dad was born in NFLND) and she often mentioned her cousin (?) Bishop Prendergast from Halifax and now I wonder if we are related.
    Sister Angela and my Dad (RIP) were "double first cousins". I am told two blood sisters married two blood brothers and one couple born my Dad and one set born Sr Angela.
    Do you know of Sister Angela from St John's Nflnd
    or my Dad: Nicholas Francis Fowler?
    Thank you for your response,
    God's blessings and grace,
    +++
    Jeanette Marie Fowler-Pellei
    Richmond VA, 23229

    ReplyDelete